The Steve Koven Trio is a Canadian, Toronto-based jazz group. Pianist Koven is joined by long time members, Anthony Michelli on drums and Rob Clutton on bass.
Formed in 1993, the trio has performed world-wide, and has established themselves as one of Canadas cultural ambassadors.
The band has released eight critically-acclaimed albums since their debut, Live at the Senator, in 1997.
Venues and Festivals performed at include:
- Shanghai Concert Hall, China
- Peking University, Beijing, China
- Teatro Libre Jazz Festival, Bogota, Colombia
- Universidad de Nacional, Bogota, Colombia
- Barrinquilla Jazz Festival, Barrinquilla, Colombia
- Canadian Embassy Theatre, Tokyo, Japan
- Canada House, London, England
- Jersey Channel Island Jazz Festival, U.K.
- Montreal Jazz Festival
- San Fernando Jazz Festival, Trinidad
- Jamaica Jazz Festival
- Nassau Bahamas Jazz Festival
- Barbados International Jazz Festival
- Holders Season Festival, Barbados
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Cultural Festival
- Monterrey, Mexico
- Port of Veracruz, Mexico
- Canada Week
- Ottawa Jazz Festival
- Winnipeg Jazz Festival
- Toronto Jazz Festival
Steve Koven brings to the stage, a contagious passion for jazz that has made him one of the finest performers in the biz
— Montreal International Jazz Festival – press release 2009
Koven can create a piece out of thin air in the time it takes for him to play it. He can be as experimental as John Cage, as impressionistic as Claude Debussy, or as bluesy as Fats Waller. The common denominators are superb technique and a fresh approach to the music.
–Amanda Putz – CBC radio
The Steve Koven Trios version of All The Things You Are is one of the most thoughtful renditions I have ever heard
— Ross Porter, Jazz FM
The Steve Koven Trio represents the healthy future of jazz.
– Rolling Stone Magazine (Asia)
…before [Nancy Wilson] took the stage there was time and space for a great Canadian talent, pianist Steve Koven. Steve stole the show. This group lit the place up, it was a memorable, remarkable performance
— Al Peabody, Barbados Press
The Steve Koven Trio has an uncanny ability to connect with an audience in a way the others do not.
– Jacques Edmond, Ottawa International Jazz Festival